"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Friday, April 16, 2010

Why Do I Write?

"One Little Step At A Time...."

So I get the news last night that a college friend of mine is deciding to step off the social network scene and concentrate on constructing and working on her new blog. I think this is a great idea, yet feel sad at the same time. So, I started thinking to myself...."Why do I write?" Quite a few other questions and contemplation popped into my head as well but this is where I want to start for now.

I started my own blog(s) after reading others, finding out that it could be good for my business (and being a free service isn't a bad perk), and finally the pull into writing again really hooked me into blogging. I wasn't sure how I was going to do, if I was going to stay consistent or not, how often would I be writing, etc....so many questions, and yet forging ahead with my decision to blog. I started out with a business blog, which shortly after I shut down my first website; I had jumped the gun and wasn't totally satisfied with the services I had available for my site, so the decision to take a "time out" came after much deliberation. Did it hurt me to make such a business decision? No-if anything came of it, it was peace of mind that I didn't have to stress about what my site was and wasn't doing. I could pull back and continue with a clean slate.

Blogging didn't stop there for me. I went on to create a page that speaks of who I am as a mother, how I manage to stay at home with my child-soon to be two children, how I find time to create, let alone write, and how I manage to keep my sanity to a level only I seem to understand. Many entries and projects have gone onto the cyber canvas to let readers in on who I am and how I operate. I got involved in a creative project for the 2010 year, of which I've been struggling at times to keep up with it yet finding my own way through the process. Trust the process.....words to live by....

Who I am as a mother, urban homesteader, independent business woman only scratched the surface for me. As I've been going through the creative projects each month since January, I started to feel a stirring of sorts. I know who I am as the many hats I wear within a day but who was I to myself? I wrote in high school, worked my passion for art into sketches that most are but a memory of yesterday, and then with my four year committment for my undergrad degree, the writer emerged once again. The artist-the creatress, came forth as well. Four years came to a close, I chose a different career path which radically changed my life, struggled for what felt like an eternity, and in the process, found myself morphing into a mother....the emotional changes, let alone physical and mental were the greatest challenges I have learned to come through since my college days of endless studies and mountains of papers written to turn over for credits....little did I know....

So, now as the author of three blogs, a mother of one soon to become two, urban homesteader, independent business woman, freelance writer, artist, creatress, thinker.....I could go on; I look at the importance of why I write, who I'm writing for, and what I have to say. Yes, I've been on the social network scene for a bit of time now but I have been questioning its importance. Yes, I've reconnected with friends, which is great but how important is that arena to me, really? I can do without it; I don't play games or copy and paste numerous posts to catch the attention of friends. Some postings are wonderful, great ways to converse but some are just not necessary. I can stay connected to friends and the few family members through emails, phone calls, and maybe even the occasional visit; those things in life are not extinct, at least not yet.

Rainy days are great for relaxing with a book, playing with the kids, taking an extended nap, and the creative process of placing words down from the thoughts that loom at the forefront of the mind. I write to share what's going on, be it from ideas that manifest into something tangible, what's for dinner, creative projects, time with my little one, random thoughts, business, homesteading......giving my perspective on the world and how I choose to live in it.

~Mom

Choices

"In an age when we are told that good mothering is just a matter of finding the right sitter and learning how to arrange "quality time," most of us could never have invisioned how completely we would be taken delicious minature people." ~Linda Burton

Prayer

"God is not a cosmic bellboy for whom we can press a button to get things done." ~Harry Emerson Fosdick

No comments:

Post a Comment