"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010 and Guava/Pineapple/Coconut Kuchen

Guava/Pineapple/Coconut Kuchen

-3 3/4 cups bread flour
-1 package active dry yeast
-1 cup milk
-6 tablespoons butter
-1/3 cup sugar
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-2 eggs
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
-1 beaten egg yolk
-1/3 cup milk
-3 cups guava paste
-1 cup chopped pineapple
-1 cup shredded coconut

In large mixer bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In saucepan heat milk, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, and salt just till warm (115-120 degrees), stirring constantly to melt butter. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl; add eggs. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at hight speed. By hand, stir in remaining flour to make a moderately stiff batter. Spread in greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Cover and let rise in warm place till double (45 to 60 minutes). Stir together 1 1/2 cups sugar and the cinnamon. Combine beaten egg yolk and milk; add to sugar mixture, stirring till blended. Add guava paste, chopped pineapple, and shredded coconut. Carefully spoon atop risen dough. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Cut and serve warm. Makes 1 coffee cake.

Now, I have this recipe in a bread book from the '70s, just not with the tropical fare for addition; that's my own concoction. Making it tomorrow for breakfast-yum!
So, here we are on the border of a new year, a new decade. News came from a friend about Twitter connection for my business blog, and it sounds like it could be worth the effort. Now, I may sound primitive in ways; I guess I've liked taking my time with my business but know that its time to move ahead into the techno age to promote my business. She also suggested a possible link between the two blogs, which could be another worthy effort. Interesting what we often don't really give enough salt to until someone else makes a suggestion and then it sticks a little more for thought; my thoughts on some things in life can be so fleeting these days. I've been nesting quite a bit these days. I've often heard of this habit when a child is due to be born but as with my son, I'm an early nester. I like to get things in order, tie up loose ends, and make sure I don't have a heaping pile of OMG!!! to tackle before my life flips over backwards once again. Funny, it took me two years to get it together as to how I could take care of my son, be a stay-at-home mom, and start (& run) my own business. Now, I get to factor in another child and wonder what awaits me. Never to be a dull moment, that I can attest to at this time. So, here's to a new year, a new decade, and endless possibilities.
~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment