"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Friday, February 5, 2010

1st Friday in February


Ever have one of those days when slippers like these are what you want to put on your feet, grab a book, and sit in the bay window covered in blankets and just let the day slip away? Where did those days go? I still find some days when I want to do that, and have to double check with everything that's going on to see if I can fit at least five minutes of that "escape" into my day. Resistance to naps, cleaning not yet done, potty training nightmares, and wanting to lay face down on the carpet kind of throw a wrench in that possibility but hey, I'm talking about every day life and the chances that your precious timely schedule may not pan out, so why stress? Life is a learning opportunity, with lessons of all kinds along the way.
Today at the tail end of a potty training moment, Tristan had a meltdown. Ok, back up a little, let him vent his frustration, give him a hug, and fix him some lunch. Was that easy? No. I wanted to try one more time for a sit on the potty but he was having no part of it. The meltdown was hell, too. I wanted to pick him up, hug him and let him know he's ok. But sometimes, you just gotta let your toddler have a moment. He was aware I was there, knew he could come to me for a hug when he was ready, and I had to keep in mind that I could get up and move. Parenting is filled with opportunities to learn from your children. They learn from us-the parents-and we learn from them. Personalities/strong will is not formed after birth; each child comes into this world with their personality intact. They know more than we could ever imagine. And yes, I did get a hug-several squeezes-a request to read to him, most of his lunch eaten, and a sense of "it's ok Mom, not every day is perfect or need to be."
So, on this first Friday in February, as the sun shines on the snow outside, Tristan is resisting his nap, and I come to a close on my post, I realize that each day is priceless, even when the sun is shining somewhere else in the world. So put on those fuzzy slippers, take a moment for yourself, and savor each discovery you encounter that makes a mark on your life. ~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment