"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Friday, January 29, 2010

Writing Meditations


My article is finished, turned in after editing and re-reading. I feel good. I ate my Ugli fruit today, feeling the texture of the skin, tasting the incredibly surprising sweetness of the flesh. Ok, Ugli fruit, right? Looks a freakishly overgrown orange trying to disguise itself as a grapefruit-not a chance. Yellow/green with hints of orange skin, peels really easy, and tastes really, really good. It was like a piece of sunshine today, especially with the single to teen digits we are experiencing here in Northern VT. Where does this lovely specimen come from and where can you get it? A tropical fruit coming from the island of Jamaica, and found in most markets. Convenient that I have a market a block away from my house, so walking there is not an issue, even for today.
So, you might be asking where does the meditation come in? See, as a writer after being a stay-at-home mom, eco-bath & body product business owner, urban homestead manager, teacher, chauffer, activities coordinator.....you get the picture. After all the other hats I wear, I find time to be creative in other ways. I'm a self-trained (with some college class help along the way) visual artist, fiber artist, and writer. Although I've not taken up the brush or pencil in a few years, the passion is still there, waiting to be used but becoming acquainted with being a great sub when it comes to my fiber work. The writing? I find its like breathing-very important to the body and the psyche. Check out "Fruitflesh" by Gayle Brandeis; you'll love it!
So, my meditation right now is smelling dinner cook, listening to the fire pop in the fireplace, seeing the alpen glow as the sun sets at this hour, and remembering the taste of the Ugli. A question comes to mind for all of us: Who are you? Ask yourself that, write it down-all the things you do in a day are a part of who you are. Take five minutes, that's it. No more, no less. Sip a cup of tea, coffee, whatever your fix is, if you like. Take five minutes, Mom. And remember, the one question at this time: Who are you? Stay warm. Love, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment