"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Monday, February 22, 2010

Dinner


Now that would be dinner during the summer, and I can't keep my mind off of the hope for a good growing season this year! I love fresh veggies, especially if I know I've nurtured and helped grow into edible yummies!
Found this fantastic vegan chili recipe on Facebook this morning, and can't wait to try it out this Friday-the season of Lent is upon us, and although I'm not the perfect Catholic, I try to stay in tune with the observances throughout the year.
Dinner tonight? Check it out:
Albondigas Guisadas en Salsa
(Meatballs Cooked in Sauce)
-1 lb. ground beef (sub with 2 lbs. ground turkey)
-1 cup bread or cracker crumbs (2 cups for turkey)
-1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
-Salt and ground pepper to taste
-Vegetable oil for frying (sub olive oil or canola for healthy choice)
-1 cup tomato sauce (jar pasta sauce for added flavor)
-2 tbsp. sofrito (will have to post the recipe and what this is on a later date)
In a bowl, mix meat, bread and seasonings. Form into meatballs. Fry in oil until brown on all sides. Add sauce and sofrito. Mix well. Cover and simmer 15 mins. -Serves 4 (6).
Arroz Verde
(Green Rice)
-2 cups rice
-2 medium green bell peppers, cored, seeded and chopped or 1 lb. fresh (frozen) spinach, washed and chopped
-1 cup chopped parsley (sub cilantro)
-1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
-3 Tbsp. olive oil
-2 Tbsp. sofrito
-1 chicken bouillon cube (chicken broth has less sodium)
-Salt and ground black pepper to taste
-Water to cover rice (forget this and forget the rice :( !)
Wash rice and drain (not needed if you use parboiled rice). Blend bell peppers (or spinach), parsley (cilantro) and onion in a food processor (blendor worlks just as well). Blend until it forms smooth puree. Heat oil in a heavy kettle or pot. Add sofrito and rice, and saute for 5 mins. Pour in the puree. Add water to cover contents in pot by 1/4 to 1/2 in. Add bouillon cube (chicken broth), salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to boil. Cover tightly and simmer on low heat until water is absorbed and rice is tender (about 20 mins). Dot with 1 Tbsp. butter, fluff with a fork and serve. -Serves 6.
Now, those who are old school about how rice is made, you would have to have a caldero (cast aluminum pot, otherwise find a cast iron that will function just as efficiently). My husband and son are Puerto Rican, and I cook quite a bit of Spanish food in our home. I also make a point to go around the world with our cuisine, as it opens the palette to other tastes and brings an awareness of other communities through food. Eating Spanish food is one of my favorite gastronomic adventures, and learning to cook it was just as fun. I am German, grew up with that yummy artery clogging food, which I still love but find it priceless to reach out and find the joy in cooking foods from around the world.
Enjoy chowing down; its a great pleasure. ~Love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love Albondigas Soup. I make mine with chorizo. I will have to try your recipe though... sounds delicious. My husband is Cuban, so I too try to cook up some Spanish food, and I'm also German just like you. Guess we have something in common :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I'm also a SAHM. :)

    Enjoy what's left of the weekend!
    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete