"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Changes, Sunshine, and Spring on the Way

Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie Bars

1/2 lb. (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
3 c. Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned , uncooked)
1 c. raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 mins or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheet; remove to wire rack. ~4 dozen

*Bar cookies: bake 30 to 35 mins in ungreased 13 x 9 inch metal baking pan.

I made this recipe for the bar cookies and because of the size of my pan-roasting pan, that is-I had to double the recipe to have the right proportions for the size of the bars. YUM!!! These are soooo good; we still have some in a ziplock bag, and try to limit myself to one a day or every couple of days to have a "sweet treat." I posted the activity on my business blog originally, experiencing some tech issues with pic layouts, so decided to add the recipe another day. In the process, I decided to add those creative activities to this page instead of my biz page; business is business, and creative projects are here at home to be enjoyed. I don't want to confuse my fans, so I when I had an epiphany to create a page just for creativity and my writing, I knew I had to do it. What Tristan and I do here at home, especially when it comes to schooling and having fun with him, I will post here. Check under "Where to Find My Writing," and you'll know right away where to find my creative and words on the page moments.




" A Snow Man? I thought it was a snowcone!"
We had fun last Thursday when we (I say we but Momma did the hard work, Tristan supervised and thought it was a giant snowcone) built our first snowman. Living in an apartment complex for the first two years of Tristan's life didn't give us much opportunity to get out and play in the snow but since we've moved into our own home-we've been here for almost a year now-he loves to be outside, regardless of the weather. I'm thankful for that each and every day, even on those days where its raining and I have to scoop him up to run from the car to the house and he gets madder than mad because I won't let him play in the rain. Hey buddy, when we buy your first rain boots and coat, then you can play in the rain, ok? How about this spring? Sounds like a good idea to Momma.


"My Sunshine"
Spring is coming but I hope we're not getting teased before a major snow storm; I mean, New England living is what it is and the weather here can change in a heartbeat, that's why we don't get too excited about warmer weather this time of the year. When its April and we're in the midst of mud season, then we can get excited.
So, here's to changes, sunshine, and knowing that spring is on the way. Love, Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment