"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Do Nap Times Die Out Like The Dinosaurs Did?


Of course, this picture is almost two years old but I love finding the ones where he's sleeping-where does the time go? Funny how they sleep so much when you first bring them home, and then little by little, as time moves along, the sleeping habits change, actually mutate. You feel like you, as a parent, young or old, new or one down adding more to the brood, you mutate. Your sleep patterns change, and that's even before their arrival. I remember the days of great, corpse-like sleep; where the house next door could have burned to the ground and I would have not even rolled over in my sleep. Sleeping on my stomach was something I did quite a bit, too. Today? Forget it. With Tristan, I slept like there was going to be a sleep famine that started once he arrived, and man, was I right. His favorite hours were midnight to five AM, EVERY DAY for at least the first two or three weeks; maybe even a month. Then, he went through that first mutation. Then another came about four months later. Naps were great, as it seemed like several in the beginning to our present day of "I'll nap when I want to-I might miss something, Mom!!!!"
Now, with my second child on the way, sleep is mutating again. I sleep but don't feel like I've slept. Did I sleep last night? I think so but don't ask me to swear by that thought. What will happen this time? Mutation of a whole other level is coming, and I take each day as a lesson learned on how it might be with two kiddies in tow. A dear college gal pal let me know that I will become creative in finding ways to get things done, how I'll work through each day, each moment, and as always, she's very confident that I'll do well with the transition. Boy, what I wouldn't give to have her here when this huge transition starts to manifest. Whew!!!
So, really Moms out there.....do nap times dies out like the dinosaurs did? And who keeps putting the Cheerios in my shoes?
~Mom
"Love her, as she is the gateway into this world."

No comments:

Post a Comment