"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Am I in a Warp and Don't Know it?




Ok, this is the second time posting and issues with trying to post more than one pic at a time. Not sure what that's all about but hey, we'll get through it, around it, over it, whatever it takes to move on from this realm of sticky goo. Pictured to your right is our Wednesday creative/science and math project-Onion Bagels. We also made Dill Cream Cheese to go with them, which I have to say, early in the morning, these are great! Absolutely love them! Even Tristan likes his bagel, excluding cream cheese but warm from the toaster oven all the same. My little helper appears to have a tendency for baking-not a bad thing, I have to say. Ok, I just tried something and I think I'll be happy with my posting and my pic layout for this post. Here's the recipes for the bagels and cream cheese; the bagel recipe is from a bread cookbook I have and the cream cheese recipe is shooting from the hip......enjoy!
Onion Bagels
4 1/4 to 4 1/2 c. bread flour*
2 packages active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water (110 degrees)
3 Tbsp. agave nectar*
1 Tbsp. salt
*Notes: I use bread flour instead of all-purpose flour, as I find it rises better for me and I work with my dough a bit less than the average or professional baker. I substituted the sugar for agave nectar, which is a great non-processed sweetening alternative.
In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 c. of the flour and the yeast. Combine water, sugar, and salt. Add to dry mixture in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 min., scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 mins. at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 mins.). Cover; let dough rest 15 mins.
Cut into 12 portions; shape into smooth balls. Punch a hole in center of each with a floured finger. Pull gently to enlarge hole, working each bagel into uniform shape. Cover; let rise 20 mins. (Optional step for glossy, smooth surface: Place raised bagels on greased baking sheet and broil 5 in. from heat for 1 1/2 to 2 mins. on each side).
In large kettle combine 1 gallon water and 1 Tbsp. sugar; bring to boiling. Reduce heat to simmering; cook 4 or 5 bagels at a time for 7 mins., turning once. Drain. Place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 mins. (For bagels that have been broiled, bake about 25 mins.) Makes 12.
Onion Bagels: Prepare bagels as above, except cook 1/2 c. finely chopped onion in 3 Tbsp. butter til tender but not brown. Brush onion-butter mixture over tops of bagels after first 15 mins. of baking.
Dill Cream Cheese
1 brick softened cream cheese (bargain or name brand is choice of baker)
3 Tbsp. dried Dill
Place ingredients into bowl, using fork to fold dill into cream cheese. Enjoy on your bagel!
So, there it is, our Wednesday project for this week. Love, Mom
"The whole life of man is but a point of time; let us enjoy it."
~Plutarch, 46 AD-120 AD



No comments:

Post a Comment