"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Coming Through the Dark of Illness


Wow....it has been quite an interesting five day chunk of time...Tristan got sick last Thursday and is now, on Tuesday, almost 100% again. The first day was spent throwing up, the second, third, and half of the fourth days were spent sleeping and feeding him to keep him hydrated, fed, and comfortable. Monday afternoon looked promising with the hope of at least 75% better and this morning he's really taken off. After FOUR bowls of dry cereal and watered down juice, his demand for food really came on strong, and with a light lunch, a walk down and back up the basement stairs, he's sleeping peacefully. This is the longest he's ever been sick, and just the idea of knowing someday I'll be rangling two kids through sickness-'cause they usually like to share what each other picks up when it comes to virus and bacteria pets....I didn't sleep hardly at all these past few days, so working on auto-pilot and knowing the coffee pot will be my best friend...whew....
My strawberry picker from last year; I can't help thinking of this year's season to come when we can go pick berries and make jam making, storing and freezing, and just snacking on a big bowl of fresh, yummy VT grown strawberries...I'm looking forward to it again this year. We might try to grow a few plants here at home with the edible landscaping project I have in rough draft but to truly appreciate the jam making and storing up of locally grown berries, we definitely are going picking again this year. Our season is soooo short here-only two weeks for the best crop options-one must take full advantage of such a short season. And to think, next year, I'll have two little sets of hands to help with the picking-eating, e'hem.....
My writing took a 24 hour break; I looked up a deadline, thinking it was within a day or two and come to find out-or possibly that it got moved back, who knows-its later than I thought it was going to be. Fine with me. I also looked into other opportunities to write and found quite a few. I've picked my arenas to write for, happy with the knowledge that most outlets I can write about the things I know and find things to write about that perhaps I'm limited in knowledge on, and be happy with non-pressure deadlines and recipients who are going to be happy with the final product that gets turned in. Ahhhhh.....I can breathe on this one, too.
Love, ~Mom
"You tell me who has to leave the office when the kid bumps his head or slips on a milk carton." ~Wendy Wasserstein

No comments:

Post a Comment