"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Writing about Grandmothers

Early morning here today but to sit and write when Tristan is sleeping is the best time for me to unload my thoughts onto the page. My little man was seven months old in this picture, seen with my grandmother (my mother's mother) and it seems like sooooo long ago some days. I love his baby pictures and need to get some of them printed and into a photo album.
I've picked up freelance writing again, and finding it enjoyable this time around. Funny how perspective can change, along with how you choose to go about things. At one time, I wrote and it was strictly based on making money writing on subjects I knew well enough to do the work. Now, I find myself writing for enjoyment, aside from making some money. I wrote a piece on grandmothers not too long ago, and enjoyed the work I put into the piece. I'm now getting ready to spin off of that writing to add color and texture to another article about grandmothers-actually, more like a short story this time.
Grandmothers are the wisdom keepers, ones who have seen more than we have in their lifetimes. Yes, there are times when our generation may have gone through hard times, experienced disappointed and heartache that would make a strong man cry but who can say they grew up during the depression of the early 20th century, young adult during WWII, saw the 50's sail in with the new wave of rebuilding our country and recovering from loss of jobs, soldiers lost overseas, raised two children during the 60's, saw the addition of grandchildren during the 70's, watched up grow during the 80's & 90's, and now seeing and living through what the 21st century has to offer? Wow....
Pies, homemade bread, canning veggies and jams, stocking the dirt floor cellar, watching the birds at the feeder just outside the kitchen window while doing dishes....memories for me. Working on crocheted items, varying from decorative motive to functional goods such as sweaters, hats, and mittens. She has passed those talents down, which I'm happy to be able to work those moments from memory into daily and seasonal activities. Does she know she established the foundation for sustainable living in my household? I'll have to tell her....
So, as I always give the last tid bit to hug your mother, keep in mind: she has a mother, too. Hug your grandmother today. Love, ~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment