"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Friday, March 5, 2010

A Day Later But Never Too Late For Apple Tart

Tarte aux Pommes

2 lbs. medium cooking apples, peeled, quartered & cored
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. raw sugar
4 Tbsp. butter
3/4 lb. shortcrust (homemade pastry)*

Cut each cooking apple quarter lengthwise into two or three slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice and sugar and toss to combine. Melt the butter in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat and add the apples. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 12 mins until the apples are just golden brown. Remove the frying pan from the heat and set aside. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 12 in. round and trim the edge if uneven. Carefully transfer the pastry round to a baking sheet. Spoon the apple slices onto the pastry round, heaping them up, and leaving a 2 in. border all around the edge of the pastry. Turn the pastry border and gather it around the apples to enclose the outside apples. Bake the tart for 35-40 mins. until the pastry is crisp and browned. Serve warm, with crem fraiche or cream, if desired. ~Serves 6.

I chose to sub the sugar originally stated-superfine-with the raw. I also make my own pastry (2 c. flour, 1/4 c. oil, & enough milk to moisten & form into pliable dough) as opposed to buying pre-made dough, and love the results of leaving my edges rough, as it adds to the "rustic Farmhouse charm" of this tart. To me, I consider this the pie before pans were such a needed element to pie recipes. The best part, aside from the end result, pictured above before cutting and loving, was the added hand I had in prepping the apples before folding into the crust and baking.




"I'm helping, really I am...."
We were a day late on our typical Wednesday project but hey, sometimes that's what life does-creates a change in our days to help us see that a schedule is made to shape and bend just as much as following it to the nose. I also feel like I'm preparing for becoming more flexible about schedules and getting things done so that I can savor the most important moments of life-my family and my time spent with them. Running errands and keeping appointments are important but to keep in mind that time for those priceless moments come and never come back. Take each moment for what it is, and savor each second. It all passes away so very quickly. These are days to remember....Love, Mom



"All my possessions for a moment of time." ~Elizabeth I (1533-1603)

No comments:

Post a Comment