"I have Autism, but Autism doesn't have me."

I started this blog to share my thoughts on what is life as a stay-at-home mom. With changes that have developed and shaped our characters here on the homestead, this is now Tristan's blog (Captain's log?) about life with Autism. We will be sharing various topics, focused on Autism, ranging from the professional focus to being in the parent's seat and how every day is different from yesterday and may not come close to tomorrow. There is much to continue learning when it comes to Autism, and as a family, we are sharing our experiences along the way. Pull up a chair, learn, then go out into the world and make a difference with what you've gleaned. Knowledge is Power!

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Back on Track


Wednesday is here, and today is our creative project day. Because of Tristan having been sick for almost five full days, I didn't plan ahead for today's project, so we're going to shoot from the hip. We did complete our April 2010 preschool homeschool chart, which now hangs on the wall above our reading chart and cork board that has paperwork we need to pay attention to for weekly stuff. It helps to keep in mind and on paper, a schedule that we can follow yet, I know that things happen and scheduling should always be flexible, especially when it comes to kids. You can plan until your last breath but there are times when the apple cart gets turned over and you have to set it back on its wheels, gather all the apples, taking care to set aside the bruised ones-hey, they make great pie....and then you pick up from there once again and move forward.
Thinking of the above metaphor makes me realize that time with your children is priceless, and every moment counts because you'll never get it back once it manifests and becomes a memory. Long before I became a mother, I felt like I needed a full schedule of "things to do" to keep from becoming bored; I often found myself wondering why I always felt like I didn't have enough time to really enjoy what I was doing. It was in the beginning of taking on my responsibility of being a new parent, even into my son's first year to almost two years of life, it was time for me to step back and take a good, long look at what I was doing, where I was trying to go, where I was really going, and what was really important for everyone involved.
I didn't have to accomplish everything I set my eyes on, don't have to manifest every idea I have at the moment into something tangible right away, and realizing that preparing my child for life was going to be the top priority and that everything else was going to have to come afterwards or drop off completely. Adjustment to motherhood has taken the better part of two years for me to really get a firm grip on, knowing that in my heart, I'm not in control. I etched out a mental list of things I want to do, not setting it on paper, and being happy with the results of going with the flow of life.
Love, ~Mom
Insight
"Let us accept truth, even when it surprises us and alters our view." ~George Sand

No comments:

Post a Comment